smbsh and others.

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Tue Oct 6 19:23:55 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at switchboard.net> writes:

>> I'd really rather not store clear text passwords for \\server\share
>> in user's home directories, particularly when (in my environment)
>> the share that they connect to most is their Unix home directory!

> that's why i said 700 permissions on the ~/.smb directory.

That won't do if you don't trust the local sysadmin and you're willing
to access remote filesystems.  In fact, if the sysadmin really wants
to steal your password, s/he can do that no matter how much you try to
prevent it, but why shouldn't we make her/his job harder? :-)

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva at dcc.unicamp.br mailto:oliva at gnu.org mailto:aoliva at acm.org