smbsh and others.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Oct 6 19:08:12 GMT 1998

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Edan Idzerda wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > can we create the convention which, based on ftp's .netrc, ssh's security
> > system and win95's password cacheing does the following:
>
> Err, I don't think .netrc can be compared with anything ssh stores
> in your home directory.  Your .netrc has clear text passwords while
> ~/.ssh contains your private key, if you create one.
>
> I'd really rather not store clear text passwords for \\server\share
> in user's home directories, particularly when (in my environment)
> the share that they connect to most is their Unix home directory!

that's why i said 700 permissions on the ~/.smb directory.  oh, i forget
to mention 600 on ~/.smb/.smbrc file.  if these permissions are any less
strict, then an error should be thrown refusing access.  a log message or
other "serious error" should be indicated to the user that the security of
their passwords has been or may be compromised.

i don't know anything about smbagent.