Win32 gethostbyaddr() does NetBIOS query?

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Oct 2 11:47:29 GMT 1998

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> On a different mailing list, the suggestion was posted that
> the Windows version of gethostbyaddr() will send a NetBIOS
> query to the address to try and get the NetBIOS name before
> doing a DNS lookup.  A few folks have written in to support
> this claim with empirical evidence (no sniffer traces yet,
> I'm 'fraid).

Chris,  I haven't actually coded it up, but simply
trying to ping a hostname on NT4 will attempt to resolve the
hostname in DNS first and then do a query for MACHINE<00>.
The docs with VC++ 4.2 don't seem to indicate what it queries,
but my gut is that if it does query Netbios, that it would be
second.  Don't know for sure though.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )