Win32 gethostbyaddr() does NetBIOS query?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at NTS.Umn.EDU
Fri Oct 2 06:18:56 GMT 1998

On a different mailing list, the suggestion was posted that the Windows
version of gethostbyaddr() will send a NetBIOS query to the address to try
and get the NetBIOS name before doing a DNS lookup.  A few folks have
written in to support this claim with empirical evidence (no sniffer
traces yet, I'm 'fraid).

This seems really wrong to me.  (They'd *never* do that, would they?)

There is evidence at our border, however, which suggests differently.  We
filter out all inbound NetBIOS traffic.  99% of the NetBIOS-related
packets that we drop are for UDP/137.  We are trying to get a better
understanding of what this means.  How much is malicious, how much is
reckless cluelessness, and how much is Microsoft.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Chris -)-----