?: RegConnectRegistry for UNIX

Stephen Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Sat Nov 14 00:10:51 GMT 1998

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, William Stuart wrote:

> The problem is the WINE code would "taint" the SAMBA code.  That is, if
> SAMBA contains WINE code it would need to be released under the BSD license
> and lose the protection of the GPL.

> Therefore, they CAN legally use the code, but only if they release under the
> less restrictive BSD license.

IANAL, but I have never seen any evidence to suggest that including BSD
code in a program and releasing it under the GPL constitutes a license
violation.  The BSD license is specifically written to encourage people to
reuse the code, and nowhere does it include a requirement that people use
a specific license--only that they acknowledge the original authorship of
the code.  This is, in fact, the big difference between GPL and BSD
licensing.

-Steve Langasek