maintainer mode

Tim Potter tpot at acsys.anu.edu.au
Sun Nov 1 22:29:55 GMT 1998

> > [makefile per directory stuff]
>
> > I agree - you can't correctly express dependencies between directories
> > with one makefile per directory.  Not that the dependencies are correct at
> > the moment...
>
> Now that automatic dependency tracking is working, if you enable
> maintainer mode and have GNU make, they *are* correct :-)

acsys:~/work/samba/source$ touch include/smb.h
acsys:~/work/samba/source$ gmake
Using FLAGS = -g -O2 -Iinclude -I./include -I./ubiqx -I./smbwrapper
-DSMBLOGFILE="/usr/local/samba/var/log.smb"
-DNMBLOGFILE="/usr/local/samba/var/log.nmb"
-DCONFIGFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
-DLMHOSTSFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/lmhosts"
-DSWATDIR="/usr/local/samba/swat" -DSBINDIR="/usr/local/samba/bin"
-DLOCKDIR="/usr/local/samba/var/locks"
-DSMBRUN="/usr/local/samba/bin/smbrun"
-DCODEPAGEDIR="/usr/local/samba/lib/codepages"
-DDRIVERFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def"
-DBINDIR="/usr/local/samba/bin" -DHAVE_INCLUDES_H
-DSMB_PASSWD="/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd"
-DSMB_PASSWD_FILE="/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd"
Using LIBS = -lsocket -lnsl
Linking bin/nmbd
proc_file_bmap                      lib/util.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to bin/nmbd
gmake: *** [bin/nmbd] Error 1

Whoops!  I've broken nmbd for the moment, but don't worry about that.  If
I touch smb.h it doesn't recompile things that need ie (i.e everything).
)-:

> > Check out "Recursive Make Considered Harmful" by Peter Miller at
> > http://www.tip.net.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html for a good
> > discussion on this.
>
> Ah!  Here's the paper!

Yup - I found it a real eye opener.  Should be required reading for all
UNIX developers.

tpot