Long machine names...

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Thu May 21 18:26:48 GMT 1998

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> > :-( So smbpasswd have to mangle the name and write it in /etc/passwd ?
> No - Samba never touches /etc/passwd. You're correct, it's a
> sysadmins job.

I know that samba doesn't touch /etc/passwd, I red the whole code before
writing patches.

> Remember the uid in /etc/passwd must be the same as the
> uid in smbpasswd. The point of having machine accounts in
> /etc/passwd is to make sure that uid's (upon which the mapping
> to rid is done) are unique, across users and machines.
>
> As NT expects this we have to present the same view of
> the account database.

Yep. As we can't be 100% sure of non duplicate uid for machine accounts,
why don't store them in a mangled file, so we are sure nobody will touch
it ? Just start the uid numbering over 2^32 and count up, this way it
won't collide with users' uids ?

	Jean Francois

ps: I don't want to start again a war, I just try to find solution (not
easy) :-)