Long machine names...

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Thu May 21 17:21:42 GMT 1998

Jean-Francois Micouleau wrote:

> :-( So smbpasswd have to mangle the name and write it in /etc/passwd ?
>
> IMHO it's bad, unix sysadmin are paid to maintain their files, it's not
> samba's job.

No - Samba never touches /etc/passwd. You're correct, it's a
sysadmins job.

> > 2) map all $ accounts to "nobody"
>
> So you rely on uid from smbpasswd file to make machines' RID ? What's the
> point to have machines (sorry trusts) accounts in /etc/passwd ?

Remember the uid in /etc/passwd must be the same as the
uid in smbpasswd. The point of having machine accounts in
/etc/passwd is to make sure that uid's (upon which the mapping
to rid is done) are unique, across users and machines.

As NT expects this we have to present the same view of
the account database.

As a question, I'd like to know which UNIXs restrict
user names to 8 characters ? Does anyone know which
UNIXs don't have this restriction ?

Jeremy.