Long machine names...

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu May 21 17:12:17 GMT 1998

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Jean-Francois Micouleau wrote:

> > > So you rely on uid from smbpasswd file to make machines' RID ? What's
> > > the point to have machines (sorry trusts) accounts in /etc/passwd ?
> >
> > OK.  I'll bite.  How do you guarentee that the uid in smbpasswd file is
> > unique?  Not trying to restart that old thread, but the general point
> > was that the only way to maintain unique uids in smbpasswd was to base
> > them off of /etc/passwd
>
> uids are not necessarily unique in /etc/passwd.

I know, but if I remember right, the arguement was

	The assumption is that accounts in /etc/passwd
	will have a unique uid.  If you decide to do
	otherwise, you are on your own.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )