SWAT demo

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Mar 9 19:44:40 GMT 1998

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Jean-Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > i would like to see an admin tool that uses dce/rpc calls, allowing the
> > remote administration of NT and Samba Primary Domain Controllers and
> > Workstations.
>
> So you want to split smbclient which remains a console app to connect to
> shares and swat used to manage servers ?

it entirely depends on what's suitable.  swat, as andrew has mentioned, is
500 lines (cool!).  if it's that elegant, it would be nice to keep in that
way.

> Or I didn't understand a damn, and swat will be the graphical version of
> smbclient ?

it may be sufficient to write perl scripts around smbclient.  or it may be
suitable to call smbclient from swat.  or to call the same functions that
smbclient does directly from swat.

whatever :-)

but _first_, identify the needs and goals.  then go for the design,
working through to implementation.  do a proper software engineering job,
in other words.

luke