rearangement done

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 10 02:49:14 GMT 1998

I've finished the rearrangement and unlocked the tree. Everyone will
now need to do a fresh checkout.

The new layout still isn't perfect. We still have lots of
interdependencies between logically separate parts of of the tree. The
most obvious are things like make_printerdef requiring to be linked
with $(PASSDB_OBJ) and similar insanities. I'll try to remove the need
for some of these things soon.

Thanks to everyone who gave me input on the rearrangement. I'm sorry I
couldn't meet everyones wishes but I hope that the end result is
acceptable. Jeremy and I both really wanted to be able to match all
source files with a simple "*/*.c" so that precluded the use of a deep
directory structure.

One thing to keep in mind is not to create any directories unless you
ask Jeremy or myself first. Files are easy to delete in CVS but
directories are permanent, they can only be removed by direct
repository hacking and that requires _everyone_ to do a completely
fresh checkout. I hope we don't have to do that again.

You may also note that some files have been removed in the new
tree. They are not lost, they just need to be retrieved from the
sambaold tree when the time comes.

    Cheers, Tridge