Network logon when using Windows Dial-up Networking and Samba

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.anu.edu.au
Sat Apr 25 14:20:08 GMT 1998

> As background, I could rarely, usually never, get a Win 95 box to do a
> logon in this situation. After recompiling pppd to include IPCP debugging,
> I have discovered what appears to be a bug in the Win 95 TCP/IP stack (and
> John Terpstra suggests the same bug is in WfW).  The stack only ever asks
> for the secondary WINS server, it does not ask for the primary WINS server.

hmmm, well the other possibility is that it is a Linux pppd bug. Never
overlook the obvious :-)

Looking at the pppd code we see this:

	case CI_MS_WINS1:
	case CI_MS_WINS2:
	    /* Microsoft primary or secondary WINS request */
	    d = citype == CI_MS_WINS2;

	    if (ao->winsaddr[d] == 0 ||
		cilen != CILEN_ADDR) {	/* Check CI length */
		orc = CONFREJ;		/* Reject CI */
		break;
	    }

oops ... when the client asks for WINS1 it actually gets the WINS2
address (if defined) and gets a reject if WINS2 isn't defined.

I'll tell Paul Mackerras (the PPP maintainer) about this. Meanwhile
your workaround will work.

> Also, note that some of the ppp samples refer to wins-addr. This is not
> correct. The correct syntax is as above.

yep, which is partly what made me suspicious that the pppd code for
WINS isn't all that well tested.

Cheers, Andrew