Network logon when using Windows Dial-up Networking and Samba

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Apr 25 13:57:47 GMT 1998

after a marathon session trying to get Windows dial up networking to do a
network logon against Samba 1.9.18p4 or more where the PPP server was a
Linux box running PPP 2.3.3-2, I have discovered the following.

As background, I could rarely, usually never, get a Win 95 box to do a
logon in this situation. After recompiling pppd to include IPCP debugging,
I have discovered what appears to be a bug in the Win 95 TCP/IP stack (and
John Terpstra suggests the same bug is in WfW).  The stack only ever asks
for the secondary WINS server, it does not ask for the primary WINS server.

So, if you only have a primary WINS server configured in the ppp options
file(s), you will not be getting a WINS server address on your Win 95 boxes
and network logons will not work.

To configure pppd correctly, include the fillowing in the options or
options.ttynn files (options is read before options.ttynn--see man):

  ms-dns a.b.c.d
  ms-wins e.f.g.h
  ms-wins i.j.k.l

If you only have one WINS server, you must still include two mw-wins
statements in there, and the second one must be your WINS server.

Also, note that some of the ppp samples refer to wins-addr. This is not
correct. The correct syntax is as above.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Linux, AIX, Digital UNIX, ULTRIX, SunOS, Samba, Apache, NetScape, ICSS,
Perl, C, C++ ...