dynamic dns server for unix wanted

Bryan "SMASH" Manternach smash at palladium.corp.sgi.com
Tue Apr 21 16:13:41 GMT 1998

Sbragion Denis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At 17.48 21/04/98 +1000, you wrote:
> >does anyone know where i can get GPL source for a dynamic dns server from?
> >does such a beast exist?
>
> I looked for it over the Internet no more than 1 month ago without any
> success. I think (hoping to be wrong) that there's no such thing for Unix,
> at least if you're loocking for a freeware package.
>
> Hope it helps.

I was under the impression that BIND 8.x could be updated on
the fly, and that it could be set up to respond to discovery
messages from outside sources like other BIND 8.x servers,
and with some creative programming, or perl scripting, you
could make it talk to things like DHCP servers in order to
get host mappings to be automated in DNS.  (Kind of like the
automatic DNS updates in an all NT enviornment with DHCP)

I'm not sure how this could be applied to SAMBA
though...

--