Sidebar re autoconf

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Fri Apr 17 02:01:20 GMT 1998

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > Is one of those the gid_t detection for getgroups? Okay if I remove the
> > run-time portion and replace it with what autoconf detects?
>
> yep! that is one of those really ugly things that is crying out for
> compile time detection.

Okay, I'll work on that today.

> > Oh, would people prefer a patch which keeps the current system in place or
> > one which simply throws the current one out?
>
> throw out the current code!

Okay, for onw I've simply made autoconf a different machine type. You
still need to select some options by modifying the makefile, but hopefully
nothing machine specific just feature specific. I'm about to try it on
Solaris 2.4

Before I forget, I'm putting patches on
<URL:ftp://ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/users/wildfire/samba/> and it is also
available via http at the same location.

> I'd almost managed to forget it was
> there. It sure is _ugly_. Note, however, that you can't just check for
> sizeof(gid_t). There are systems (Ultrix comes to mind) that are badly
> broken and actually get the types totally screwed in
> getgroups()/setgroups(). You'll need code like we currently have, but
> at compile time as a autoconf test.
>
> While I think of it, one of the tricky ones is the dfree code. The
> statfs/statvfs etc calls are very different across different
> platforms. We'll need some smart autoconf stuff to fix that.

Agree, as I've said most of what I've done simply try to decide what
header files to pull in.

> I think I
> saw some package that did detect that stuff with autoconf (hmmm, maybe
> it was ssh?).

I'll take a look, I suspect that ssh mwill have some interesting routines
to do with shadow passwords though.

> Other ones that come to mind are:
>
> - quotas

Completely forgot about this one, oopps.

> - mmap vs. sysV shared memory vs. lock files
> - the silly solaris "off by 2 bytes readdir()" bug
> - the shmem_ds bug in RH5 Linux
> - correct SIGCLD handling
>
> etc etc. It will be great to get some of this stuff cleaned up.

Will do,
Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are