Mapping of RIDs to uid_t and gid_t

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Fri Apr 3 10:31:24 GMT 1998

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> To generate new machine accounts, we
> junk the algorithm I'm using at the
> moment and create them starting at
>
> 2^28 - 1001
>
> going down.

I'm still not convince by this idea. I know several sites (like where I
worked in a previous life) where the uid are allocated in blocks to make
some delegations to other sysadmin.

Having each machine it's own uid can come in collision with how some
sysadmins manage their accounts. I know about NIS+ doing the same thing.

Do we really need one uid by machine ?

	Jean Francois

: Jean Francois Micouleau       : Email: jfm at utc.fr       :
: Universite de                 : Tel  : 03 44 23 47 78   :
: Technologie de                :  Service Informatique   :
: Compiegne              France :     Division IRNM       :