Mapping of RIDs to uid_t and gid_t

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Fri Apr 3 12:56:49 GMT 1998

Jean-Francois Micouleau wrote:
> I'm still not convince by this idea. I know several sites (like where I
> worked in a previous life) where the uid are allocated in blocks to make
> some delegations to other sysadmin.

	This block-allocation is very common at at least
	York University and several large commercial sites,
	so groups can cooperate on generating unique userids.
	This means that the high 4 bits can be taken (although
	most people avoid setting bit 31 (:-))

	Therefor ((uid+1000) & 28bits) may cause loss of
	significant digits. **May**!  It's probabilistic...

	Are the group and machine ID's randomly distributed, or are
	they individually counted up from 0?  I'm having a half-baked
	thought (;-))

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb