[samba-soc] getting started

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri May 26 13:38:21 GMT 2006

Hey folks,

Hope everyone is not quite over the euphoria yet :-)

(sorry for the delay....network connectivity issues)

First off, I wanted to thank all of you for taking
an interest in Samba and submitting proposals.
I wanted to go ahead and get the ball rolling on a
things.  Here's how things will pair up for
mentor/student assignments:

Student			Mentor
=======			======
Michael Krax		me
Brad Henry		Andrew T.
Ming Wong		me & jiri
Sreepathi Pai		Tridge & co.
Martin Kühl		Andrew B.
Mingwang Xia		me (others involved as well)

Note to mentors: if you haven't sent mail introducing
yourself, please do so

Students: For the most part, mentors have a lot of
leeway in how they want things to work.

The only thing I'm going to ask is that we all
have two items:

Milestones for progress markers.
  I don't have the dates from code.google.com in front
  of me at the moment so I'll have to get back to you
  as to when these are.

  M1 - first milestone to coincide with the half
       way check point by google.
  M2 - 90% done
  M3 - Final code submission.

A set of requirements, project schedule, and
   deliverables.  This should include what will
   be accomplished by the first, second, and the
   final milestones.

The final code submission should meet the initial
requirements spec so I'd like us to take a week
to hash this out (between you and your mentor(s)).
We will publish these on samba.org somehow.

The judging standard is pretty simple and fair.
Either the code does what it is supposed to or not.
There room for minors adjustments within reason
as the next months go by.  But it's pretty important
to know what you are trying to design and code
initially.

Communication
students, this will pretty much be a requirement except
for casual conversions on irc://irc.freenode.net/#samba-technical.
All design discussions should really be on the mailing
lists for wider involvement.

Source control
==============

As per the google guidelines, everything has to
be done in the open.  Last year we tried giving
last year's group access to our SVN repo.  That
was a pretty big headache (for me at least).

What I would like to try (for Samba 3 work at least)
is to use bazaar-ng.  I will maintain a current bzr
tree on samba.org to pull from.  If you aren't familiar
with bzr, please do a little bit of reading.  It's
pretty similar to svn and cvs.

If the folks leading Samba 4 work would prefer
a different solution or to collaborate on getting
bzr working for the summer, let me know.

Student Email

If you want a samba.org email address that
forwards to another mailbox, let me know and I'll
be glad to set one up for you.  Just a small token
of appreciation for helping out this summer.

That's all I can think of for now.  See you on
samba-technical (ml and irc).

cheers, jerry (a.k.a. coffeedude)