FW: NT 4.0 Servers not seeing SAMBA share

DavidAtkinson at solectron.com DavidAtkinson at solectron.com
Fri Sep 21 16:56:01 GMT 2001

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Atkinson, David
Sent: Saturday, 22 September 2001 9:58 AM
To: 'Stoddard, Bob'
Subject: RE: NT 4.0 Servers not seeing SAMBA share

Sounds like a routing problem. Do you have WINS setup? Routers usually will
not relay brodcasts, so you must use WINS resolution otherwise the remote
machines will not be able to see the Samba box. You can setup WINS using the
option

wins server = w.x.y.z

where w.x.y.z is the IP address of your wins server (for example mine is
10.1.1.254)
or you could setup the samba box as a wins server. If you do just make sure
that you setup wins in the network properties of all the other windows
boxes.