W2K <-> Profiles

Sylvain atsyber at ifrance.com
Fri Sep 21 09:27:06 GMT 2001

I use a Windows 2000 SP2 client with Samba 2.2.1a

All work, however I've a very strange problem when windows want access
and store a profile...

I use this on my smb.conf :
logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
[Profiles]
    path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes

A the start, I've a warning message (I translate from french) Windows
can't build this folder \\Pollux\\Profiles\root.pds
(Pollux = server, root= admin)

So for try to find a solution on this problem, I've changed few
parameters on the smb.conf like this :
¨First I've built a directory /Profiles

logon path = \\%L\Profiles\
[Profiles]
    path = /Profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes

So now, on the start it work however when I would like reboot Windows
say : Windows can't update the itinerant profil - Access denied...
Interressting isn't it ?
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          144 sep 21 16:03 Profiles/
into this folder I've :
[root at pollux cups]# ll /Profiles/
total 0
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root            0 sep 21 15:44 prf8B.tmp*
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root            0 sep 21 15:46 prf8D.tmp*
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root            0 sep 21 16:03 prfBE.tmp*

Anyone have suggestion please?

Other strange think :

I use logon script like this :
NET TIME \\pollux /SET /YES
NET USE T: \\pollux\tmp /YES
NET USE U: \\pollux\sbe /YES

But when I open the File Explorer I see there network drives:
tmp sur 'pollux' (T:)
root sur 'pollux' (U:)
root sur 'pollux' (Z:)

What's this (Z:) network ?

Thank you very much for yours answers...

Sylvain.B.