W2K 5.00.2195 SP2/Samba 2.2.1a/ntconfig.pol

Aaron Caine anc at bu.edu
Thu Sep 20 13:37:02 GMT 2001

Hello,

I am attempting to implement a setup using Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP2 and
Samba 2.2.1a using system policies (not GPOs).

I am trying to restrict users from writing data files on the local hard
drives, requiring all data to be stored on the network, keeping access
times down for login/logout.  I am also attempting to make a few security
changes, such as the restriction of registry changes, the restriction of
desktop change, and the restriction of network settings change.

I have had zero luck trying to get samba to even recognize the
ntconfig.pol file.  I am suspicious that the new version of W2K (rel 2195)
no longer supports the ntconfig.pol files.  I have also heard this as a
rumor.  Does samba support the new Group Policies (GPOs)?

Can anyone fill me in?  I've had quite a lot of trouble locating all the
information to complete the picture for this situation.

I have read the PDC-FAQ, the PDC-HOWTO, and all other relevant
documentation.  This post has only come after 5 days of effort on my part.

I thank everyone for their time.

Aaron Caine
ECE Systems Manager
Boston University
anc@[nospam,please].bu.[nospam,please]edu
617/35[no telemarketing calls, please]3-1244