samba, linux and mackintosh

Tarjei Huse tarjei at nu.no
Sat Oct 27 03:26:02 GMT 2001

Hi,

When you run configure for samba, you get the option --with-appleshare (or
somehting simmilar - taking this from memory)  that is marked EXPERIMENTAL. How
experimental is this? Does it work? Does anyone use it?

I'm running netatalk and samba on one machine, and that has givven med quite a
few headaches when it comes to filelocking. I usually end up restarting samba
(2.2.1a) ;(

Also, I am wondering, what does the --with-afs configure do? Is this for using
samba together with the afs as in OPENAFS distributed filesystem? Does anyone
use this and what is the consept?

One last thing: If you are going to use netatalk og nis together with samba, use
LDAP! Place everything into your ldap dir and go from there. Btw, how good is
the ldap - usermanger combo in Samba now? I've been using tng but am
contemplating to switch if it's any good.

Hmm. if it doesn't exist, here's a featurerequest: Make it possible that the
ldap backend also changes the plaintext passwd when you change the nt/lm one
through usermngr.

Many questions, I hope someone has the time to answer some of them :=)