Problems using samba as a PDC

Doug Douglass samba at denverdata.com
Fri Oct 26 10:12:02 GMT 2001

> Hi Doug,
> I tried to edit the new MACHINE.SID, and now I see that both the NT Server
> ad the Samba Server are using the same SID.
> Now I have a problem about RIDs: in the samba documentation I've read that
> for using samba as a PDC I need to set security = user, so I need to have
> the user's accounts stored locally in the samba Server (in the file
> smbpasswd).
> It seems to me that it's impossible to use the old local profiles with the
> Samba Server because the RIDS will be different (I see this
> viewing the file
> NTUSER.DAT stored in the local profile's directories): is it true or there
> is some other thing I can do?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Pietro Regis

As I feared, using smbpasswd, as Volker's response states, will not produce
the same RIDs as the NT PDC.

At my site I use OpenLDAP as the SAM backend to samba instead of smbpasswd
and RIDs are one of the attributes stored in each account entry. Therefore,
I can modify the RID on any account if needed. You may wish to consider
using LDAP if no other mechanism will work.

Doug