problem: win2k (re)joining domain

Arnold Andrews X-324-4292 aandrews at eng.okla.seagate.com
Thu Oct 25 13:43:02 GMT 2001

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 2.2.1a to 2.2.2 on Solaris 8.

I don't know whether it was related, but I noticed that I could no longer browse
computers within the "Microsoft Windows Networking" section of the "Entire
Network" under "My Network Places".  Puzzled as to what may have caused this, I
decided to leave the domain by switching from being a member of the domain to
being a workgroup member.  When I still couldn't browse other computers I
decided to uninstall the "Microsoft Networking Client".

After I reinstalled the client, I could again see the computers as before.  Now
when I attempt to switch back to being a member of the domain, I get an error
message saying:

  The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "ocomcad":
  The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials.

I have seen this particular error message referenced in the mail list over and
over again several times.  I know that it means that there is already a
connection to the resource as another user then the one being attempted with.
The problem is that I don't have any drives mapping to it at all so I don't know
why I am getting the conflict.  When I check the status with SWAT it does show
an "IPC$" share being done.

How can I remove the "IPC$" connection so that I don't get a conflict when I
attempt to rejoin the domain?

I thought it might possibly be a service pack 2 issue, so I rolled back to SP1
with no success.  I still get the same error.

Now I have even uninstalled 2.2.2 and put back 2.2.1a and I still have the
problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Arnold Andrews