Linux, Samba, and Macintosh's

Jim Morris Jim at Morris.net
Thu Oct 25 19:33:02 GMT 2001

Gary MacKay wrote:

> OK, I was just about to bring a new samba server online to replace an
> ageing Novell server, when a student walks up and says, Kool, but will I
> still be able to connect with my Macintosh? "D*^n, I forgot about them"
> I says. Before I get rode out of town, does anyone know how to connect
> them to samba? I've seen in the kernel where I can compile in the
> AppleTalk protocol, but I've never used it, and have no idea if it will
> play nicely with samba.

Have you considered using Netatalk to provide file and print services to
the Macintosh users?  I think it will coexist peacefully with Samba. Not
sure how file locking is handled if a Samba user and a Netatalk user try
to use the same exact file...

Check it out at http://netatalk.sourceforge.net.

Jim Morris (Jim at Morris.net)