Print properties not available as user

Benjamin Kingsolver bkingsolver at ltgc.com
Wed Oct 24 14:00:03 GMT 2001

All,

I have a Samba 2.2.1a on Linux domain controller for a domain with about
30 printers.  Some of these printers are HP 8100 printers with
"mailboxes", or multiple output trays,  attached.  When a user is a
member of the domain, they are not able to change the printer options as
they are greyed out.  Meaning, they cannot choose which mailbox to print
to.  I gave a test user the "manage document" right which prevented
printer from installing.  The user can change properties if he has full
control of the printer.  I would rather not give the users
administrative rights.  Is there a setting I can change to allow them to
control some of the local properties?  Here is the printers section of
my smb.conf:

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r    # using client side
printer drivers.
    lpq command = lpstat -o %p
    lprm command = cancel %p-%j
    browseable = No

I can provide other sections if necessary.

Suggestions?  Directions on where to look if this is not a Samba problem?

Thanks.

/Benjamin Kingsolver/
Linux Network Administrator
Land Title Guarantee Company