Unable to decompress samba-2.2.2.tar.gz

Arnold Andrews X-324-4292 aandrews at eng.okla.seagate.com
Wed Oct 24 07:04:13 GMT 2001

Hi,

The problem is that you are trying to use gunzip into a pipe.  The behavior of
gunzip as you are trying to use is would result in a file called
samba-2.2.2.tar.  On the next command, you could then untar the result.  Another
method that is sort of an "all in one" would be to use the "gnu" zcat to the
pipe as you tried. Here are 2 different examples on how you can do it:

method 1:

  gunzip samba-2.2.2.tar.gz
  tar xvf samba-2.2.2.tar

method 2:

  /<path_to_gnu_zcat>/zcat samba-2.2.2.tar.gz | tar xvf -

Hope that helpls,

Arnold Andrews