Success compiling 2.2.2 with Winbind on Solaris 8

Akop Pogosian akopps at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Oct 23 17:33:13 GMT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Arnold Andrews X-324-4292 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My apologies to the Samba team!  It is possible to compile Samba 2.2.2 with
> Winbind on Solaris 8.  After downloading, compiling, and installing the GCC
> compiler (version 3.0.1), I was successful at compiling the 2.2.2 release
> without having to disable the winbind feature.  It failed for me before using
> the Sun C compiler version 4.2.  Not only did the GCC compiler do a better job
> the the Sun compiler considering that the Sun compiler wouldn't do it, but the
> GCC compiler is FREE, just like Samba!

Granted, the Sun C compiler is known to optimize code for UltraSPARC*
processors much better than gcc. Also, gcc still has issues compiling
64-bit sparc code on Solaris while Sun's cc did it well for years
(starting with version 5.0) I have compiled compiled older Samba
versions with Sun's cc with no problems, so may be, it's just winbind
code that wasn't tested with other compilers yet..

-akop