Samba PDC & /etc/passwd

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Mon Oct 22 14:00:05 GMT 2001

Ok, I have seen a bunch of posts on similar subjects, but I'm just not putting the pieces together.. I have Samba 2.2.2
(on RedHat 6.2 - from their RPM), and a Windows 2k box (Advanced server).  Everything works great, but samba wants me to
use the smbpasswd file for authentication, and I would like to use the /etc/passwd stuffs to do the authentication - I'm
using NIS, so this is important.  Whats the smb.conf trick to basically say "use /etc/passwd instead of smbpasswd"?

Just for the heck of it, here is one what person said a while back:

---- Quoted from Aaron Sheard ----
The way it works with me is as long as you have a +::0:0::: as the last line in
your /etc/passwd file, samba will authenticate to the NIS master.

If you can log on directly to the unix box through NIS, samba should work fine
without any modifications.

In my smb.conf file this is all I have for [global] variables and it works fine
with NIS.
(this is running on hpux 10.20)

[global]
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
server string = unixbox
workgroup = office
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
netbios name = unixbox
socket address = 10.10.1.2

Thanks in advance!
Eric