Samba 2.2.2 printer driver downloading for Win9x clients

Christian Perrier Christian.Perrier at onera.fr
Mon Oct 22 05:13:02 GMT 2001

I have this problem for a while now, with all 2.2.x versions I installed,
including the recent 2.2.2.

On a Samba server which is domain member in a NT4-controlled domain, I have
several printers defined.

I have very carefully followed the steps described in printer_driver2.html
and have been successful in making the printer driver download work for
NT4/W2K clients.

Unfortunately, for *some* of the defined printers, I am unable to have the
Win9x printer driver download work.

The procedure I try to use is the following :

On a NT4 client, I open a session with a user granted as Domain Admin. The
corresponding user on the Samba server side is member of the "staff" group
(which is the group who has write access to the print$ share on the samba
server, Unix permissions in the corresponding directory being OK for that
group allso.

In the Network Neighborhood, I open the Samba server, the "Printers".

I choose  a printer, then "Properties". Then I clik on the "Share" TAB and
choose Windows 95 in the "Additionnal drivers" part. Then click OK.

Here I get an error box with (translated from french) : "Additionnal drivers
installation impossible. Unknown printer driver". Then, the printer
properties dialog box is closed automatically.

I can try to put a (very) high debug level on the samba side if this may
help, of course. Which one should I use? 10?

--
Christian Perrier
ONERA/Département Réseau et Informatique Scientifique