Can't get domain auth to work?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Oct 22 03:25:01 GMT 2001

>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 16:43:06 -0600
>From: Scott Mann <Scott.Mann at lefthandnetworks.com>
>To: samba-ntdom at lists.samba.org
>Subject: Can't get domain auth to work?
>
>Hi All,
>
>I have a W2K domain controller. I downloaded samba-2.2.2 and compiled
>with winbind
>and ntacls. All of that went well.
>
>I followed the instructions in the winbind man page to set up my Linux
>box
>as a domain client. With winbindd running, I can get wbinfo to work just
>fine (including -u, -g, -n, -S, -Y, etc.).
>
>When I try to log in as a W2K user on the Linux system, however, it does
>not work.
>The problem seems to be with pam_winbind. When I use the debug argument,
>it always
>says that the user is "not found" even though it is a valid user in the
>W2K domain
>and shows up as such with wbinfo -u.
>
>Any ideas, RTFMs, etc. sincerely appreciated!
>
>Rgds,
>Scott

You need to ensure that the c library finds the user (AFAIK), so you
need to add a "winbind" entry to the passwd and group sections on
/etc/nsswitch.conf. Once you have done that, try :
$ getent passwd
and you should see a list of domain users, if not, you have problems.

If  "getent passwd" shows domain users, you should be in the money ...
(well, if your pam config files work)

Buchan

Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202