Getting Desperate

Meyer, Aaron Aaron.Meyer at BakerHughes.com
Fri Oct 19 08:32:05 GMT 2001

Ok, I've got a test instance of Samba 2.2.2 running.
it is setup with USER security so all accounts are authenticated locally -
not on the DOMAIN. Which means you have to be careful or you'll get
conflicting credentials.

This configuration will use an existing NT or 2000 PDC as WINS and Master
Browser server. All user authentication is done locally.
I don't have Winbindd running at all.

Add each user by 'useradd <username>' and 'smbpasswd <username>'

when passwords expire on the domain, they will NOT be updated here,
credential confliction may then occur. Passwords will have to be synced
manually. I did have winbindd working, but took it out because it was so
dreadfully slow on our domain with 30,000+ users.

Each user can map his own home directory by running. Their home directory
will be specified in your /etc/passwd file.

	'net use Z: \\servername\<username> /persistent:yes'

<< smb.conf >>
[global]
	workgroup = workgroup
	netbios name = barlnxpc
	server string = barlnxpc
	comment =

	## Hide Linux so Corp doesn't freak out!
	announce as = NT Workstation
	announce version = 4.0

	guest account = nobody
	keep alive = 30

	log file = /opt/samba-2.2.2/var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50

	security = USER
	encrypt passwords = yes
	smb passwd file = /opt/samba-2.2.2/private/smbpasswd
	username map = /opt/samba-2.2.2/private/smbusers

	domain master = no
	preferred master = no
	domain logons = no
	wins server = 10.250.8.2