Need help to setup Samba PDC for Windows 9x/NT/2000

Meyer, Aaron Aaron.Meyer at BakerHughes.com
Fri Oct 19 08:01:08 GMT 2001

If you are wanting to service as PDC for Windows 2000, with DOMAIN logons,
you will need at lease Samba 2.2.0 of course the latest Samba 2.2.2 is
probably the best bet for you.

(PDC support for anything but Win9x in Samba 2.0.x was entirely
experimental! - it could work, but many had problems with NT, MANY problems
with 2000)

Samba 2.2.0 and better tarballs come with the latest documentation and has
the best PDC functionallity.

		Aaron Meyer  LNXRLZ, MSSKS, 2kBLWS

-----Original Message-----
From: Tai Kee Leong [mailto:Leong at nti.infomal.com.my]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 2:02 AM
To: 'samba-ntdom at lists.samba.org'
Subject: Need help to setup Samba PDC for Windows 9x/NT/2000

Hello everyone,

I need help to configure a Samba as the PDC for Windows 9x/NT/2000 machines.
I have configure the encrypted password based on the document I read from
redhat.com entitle 'Using Samba with Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000'. The
following command was used: -

- cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd
- chmod 600 /etc/samba/
- smbpasswd username

The machine that I login is Windows 2000 with workgroup but Samba could not
authenticate my username. What else do i need to configure?

The software version as follow:-
- Redhat Linux 7.0 with Samba 2.0.7
- Windows 2000 Professional with SP1

Thank you.