Problem with Samba and Windows 2000/Service pack 2

Malte Ressin ressin at psychologie.uni-kiel.de
Thu Oct 18 10:03:07 GMT 2001

Hi there

I have the following problem:

We have a windows domain running on a Linux machine (kernel 2.2.3), on
Samba 2.2.2. The domain is working so far, it works to connect network
drives with Windows 95/98, NT 4.0 (service pack 6a) and W2K (service pack
2). Logging into a domain works also, but only with Win95/98 (I mean the
windows login screen that pops up at the start of windows). I fail to log
into this domain with W2K. W2K gives me an error message stating that it
is unable to find the domain.

I don't think the problem is with my Windows installation, because I can
log in to a different domain running on a NT 4.0 server, but not on that
domain on the Linux server.

So, the questions I have is the following:
a) is it supposed to work, to log in a windows domain with W2K
   service pack 2, running on samba 2.2.2?
   The trouble is, I read several reports on the net of people who claimed
   to do so, sometimes even without any setup work, "out of the box". Then
   again, I also read some reports that no version of samba is supposed to
   provide login functionality for W2K.

b) if it is supposed to work, and someone managed to do so, could you
   please tell me how exactly you did it? Maybe a step-to-step runthrough?
   I'm sorry, but we really tried here and I am totally lost by now.

Another problem is that we run the german W2K version, so I unfortunately
cannot give the exact english (error) messages since I get them in german.
I hope that's not too big of a problem.

Anyway, any kind of help is greatly appreciated. Maybe if someone could
answer a) at least, so that we know if we're chasing things that simply
are not there.

Apart from that, congrats and thanks to the samba team for their efforts
and their really great and reliable software.

So far, Malte :-)

Kontakt: Raum 340, i.d.R. Montags und Freitags zwischen 12 und 13 Uhr

oder (noch besser)

email: ressin at psychologie.uni-kiel.de