Samba Newbie

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Thu Oct 11 09:57:11 GMT 2001

> I've been lurking here for a month or six weeks or so,
> and would just like to point out that the samba docs
> are sometimes something less than useful to a linux
> newbie.
>
> I have read the docs and man files, and have several
> linux manuals, but still can't get my system to
> acknowledge my NT4 network, much less communicate with
> it. I have reloaded RH 7.1 several times.
RH 7.1 when install in the default way ships with a software firewall
that blocks the prots needed for samba.

> I can ping
> all the machines on the net, but obviously something is
> dead wrong somewhere in the samba configuration.
> Ironically, I can get mail and surf through my NT
> proxy, but have made exactly zero progress with samba.
>
> I have tried without success to find some local brains
> to pick. Someone suggested to me that it might be
> easiest to communicate with my NT net via ftp and
> telnet - this actually might be a useful solution in my
> case, except that it doesn't allow me to access any
> printers, and when I went looking for printer
> information, well ...  And it wouldn't help those who
> are trying to replace NT servers altogether, which is
> my ultimate goal.

What do you want to do?
- Connect with NT to a samba share on the linux machine?
- Connect with the linux machine to a share on the Nt machine?
--> two different approaches nessecary!
- where are the printers attached to physicaly?
- if its on linux, do they work form there?
- are you using the rpm's from RH, from samba or have you
  compailed the source?

> So rtfm is not *always* the answer ... thanks anyway.
With the samba source comes a file DIAGNOSTIC.txt (or like that).
What are your results in the different steps?

Christian

> And undying gratitude to anyone who would care to help
> those of us out who have read so much documentation
> that we are about to hit cranial meltdown :-)
>
> Direct email is great in my case.
>
> tnx,
>
> Lynn
>
> > Perhaps it's a good idea to start reading the Samba documentation,
> > which
> > contains a step by step guide to install and configure samba.
> >
> > grtz,
> > Dennis
> >
> >> Hi
> >> I am newbie to linux and samba .I will appreciate any help from
> >> your
> >> side to install,configure..successfully run samba on redhat
> >> linux be
> >> possible.(steps by steps is preferrred).How to start with the
> >> installation.
>
> [snip]
>

> mailto:lynnt at macnet.com         * * *    Aun Aprendo
> I'd rather be WARP'ed    * * *      Team OS/2
>
> http://www.sites.onlinemac.com/hawthorne/

               _(_)_                          wWWWw   _