2 NT 4.0 / Samba 2.2.0-15 questions

James Puckett jpuckett at ticom.com
Wed Oct 10 09:09:02 GMT 2001

All,

I am using NT 4 SP 6 and Samba 2.2.0-15 on Linux, and am having two problems.
The samba server is a domain controller and print server for the NT machines,
which I am attempting to convert to use roaming profiles via the samba PDC.

Problem one: When using my Samba domain account on the machines, programs
running in Windows constantly generate memory access violation errors and
crash, starting Dr. Watson and often causing problems with the machines in
general.

Problem two: I am able to set up my printer on the Samba machine and have the
NT machines print to it as the local admin account, but when I log in with my
domain account the printer settings have been lost, and I can not set up the
printer because I do not have local access to install drivers. Other users
however, are able to install the driver. What I want to do is have one
network printer set up on the NT machines that is the same for all users.

My smb.conf follows below, private information has been replaced with XXX.
Thanks!

-james

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2001/10/10 11:16:37

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = XXX
        netbios name = XXX
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        username map = /etc/username.mapping
        password level = 8
        username level = 8
        unix password sync = Yes
        domain admin users = XXX
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon path = \\XXX\profile\%U
        logon home = \\XXX\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 34
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        invalid users = root bin daemon adm lp sync shutdown halt mail news
uucp operator
        admin users = XXX

[cgsmb]
        comment = XXX