Please Help - Account Not Authorized Error

WebGuardian webguardian at safepointetech.com
Thu Oct 4 06:05:17 GMT 2001

Hello,

We have a situation here that we sure could use some help on. Let me
explain what we did so far:

On a test Red Hat 7.1 box we installed Samba 2.2.1a. From there we
created the below smb.conf file and manually added the machine account
to the system and then added it to the smbpasswd file. We then added the
root account to the smbpasswd file.

Then we proceeded to join the MAINOFFICE domain with our Windows 2000sp2
test client, and to our surprise it worked flawlessly. We then added
users to the smbpasswd file and we could then log in from the W2K box.
Not so much as a hiccup.

Since we experienced positive results with that, we unjoined the domain
with our W2K client and then removed samba from our
test box. We then installed Samba on one of production servers that we
had slated for this role. We then followed the procedures
from above and loaded the same exact smb.conf file we used before and
started the services.

This time we got a whole new ballgame. When we attempt to join the
domain from our test W2k client we get an error message
"The account is not authorized to login from this station"

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Bruce P. Morin

[global]