Error logging into domain (c0000252)

R.J. Baart R.J.Baart at Prompt.NL
Mon Nov 26 17:17:02 GMT 2001

We use several Samba servers. On one system we try things out. That system is a
Suse Linux 7.2 system. We have used it for a long time. It always worked ok. It is
configured as PDC and the current CVS version of Samba is installed.

Until yesterday we were able to logon to the domain withe a w98, nt4(sp6) and a w2k
(sp2) client. We use roaming profiles, smb printservices, etc.But today we can't logon
to the domain. Why? We don't know. In our opinion we have not changed relevant
options.

The error on a NT4 (sp6) workstation is :
    "The system cannot log you in (c00000253). Please try again ....".
Trying another logon: error c0000037. Sometimes we get an error with lsass.exe
0xc0000005. After trying a domain logon we have to reset the workstation, a local
login is not possible.

It is obvious it has something to do with the workstation, because we can access the
domain as workgroup. So usernames and passwords are correct.We have deleted
the workstations UID from smbpasswd and passwd. We have added the machines
to the domain with useradd, smbpasswd and on the NT workstation. All without any
problem. We have concentrated on an NT4(SP6) workstation. No success

But what is the problem? I think we miss something very simple, but what.

The global portion of our smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = PROMPT
   netbios name = AYLER
   server string = Ayler Taalstraat file- en printserver
   interfaces = 192.168.100.254/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0
   bind interfaces only = Yes
   encrypt passwords = Yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd