Problem with profiles win98

samba at electromotor.com samba at electromotor.com
Mon Nov 19 20:46:02 GMT 2001

I've been using Samba v2.0.6 no a RH Linux server for a couple of years as a PDC for Windows98 and Windows95 client machines connected on my LAN.  No problems until a month ago one of my users complained that it took more that five minutes to login to the network.  I started investigating and found that every time this user logs into the network, win98 sends a few thousand files to this user's profiles on the server.  These files are located in:

/home/$user/History/History.IE5

each directory is named:  "MSHist" with long number strings in the sufix of the directory name.  In each directory there is a file called:  index.dat.

I have cleaned up all the TEMP directories on the win98 machine and deleted these directories off the server.  But when this machine logs into the network, it sends the directories to the server again and take a few minutes to log into the network.  I cannot find where these files are comming from ?  Does anyone know how I can remedy this ?

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks,

Mark W.