Software Installs & Policies

Ross McKillop ross at lyximer.net
Wed Nov 7 16:35:02 GMT 2001

Just a few questions,

I am running a samba/windows 2000 network with about 25 workstations
that use the samba box both as a fileserver and PDC...

I have two questions...

1) What is the easiest way to remotely install software across all
   of the windows workstations... IS there an easy way?

   I looked into using the "Network Install Tab" tip and created
   a share called apps containing the application cds (just in a
   standard linux folder) and an apps.inf file with the appropriate
   settings, and a pointer to this added in the appropriate place to
   all the client machine's registries.  although it doesnt appear
   to work...

2) I have an NTConfig.POL file running normally, and without problems
   however it seems unable to enforce restrictions per group or per
   user using only Default User and Default Computer settings...

   What could I be doing wrong, everything else seems to work....

I'm running version 2.2.1a from CVS a month or so ago.

The help of anyone who can shed a little light on these two things would
be much appreciated.