Req root to join domain w/ W2K

Kevin G. Currie kevin.currie at wmich.edu
Thu May 10 20:27:11 GMT 2001

Why exactly does joining a domain from a Windows 2K box require the root
password for the Samba server (or the root account at all for that
matter)?

I understand that you're trying to automate creation of accounts
with samba on a unix machine, but frankly, I'm not going to touch that
with a 20 foot poll.

If I have setup the machine accounts in /etc/passwd and smbpasswd ahead of
time by hand, why can't a domain admin add machines to the domain?  Giving
out the root password (even if it is different in smbpasswd) is _NOT_ an
option at our sight.  What needs to be done to get around this if the
account entries are pre-made?  How can I help (IOW, where should I start
looking and what should I know ahead of time about the code)?

Kevin Currie

--
phew, for a minute there i lost myself.