(no subject)

Greg J. Zartman greg at kwikfind.com
Thu Mar 29 16:19:53 GMT 2001

Peter,

I agree with Richard.  I think you've bruised Samba's feelings.

Seriously:
I'm currently running Samba 2.2 as a PDC for a mainly Win2k network.  Once I
worked out the "kinks" using my test machine, I added the entire network to
the domain in about an hour, so the process does work.  90% of the time, if
I had a problem, it was obvious by reading the samba log file using log
level 2.   Also, make play around with the smbclient and smbstatus utilities
that come with Samba.  They are very good at telling you if Samba is
working.

If Samba is running good and you are still having problems, chances are it's
with name resolution.  I use WINS support on my Win clients with the Samba
PDC as the WINS server.  I also use the BIND DNS server as my main name
resolver on our network.  I am very diligent about making sure BIND is
working properly and resolving both external names and internal machine
names (I'm not sure how important this is to Samba)  One thing you might
verify on your client machines is that you don't have the Disable Netbios
over TCP/IP option selected on your Win2k clients.  This will goof up WINS
lookups.

Following is the smb.conf file that I use.  It may not be perfect, but works
for me.

Good luck.

Greg

#====================================================================
#          SAMBA CONFIGURATION FILE
#====================================================================
#
# Date: Feb. 16, 2001
# Created By: Greg Zartman  (greg at leiinc.com)
#
#---------------------------------------------------------------------

#---------------------------------------------------------------------
#                  GLOBAL PARAMETERS
#---------------------------------------------------------------------

[global]

 config file = /etc/smb.conf

 #Server Parameters
 netbios name = SERVER
 server string = Samba %v on (%L)

 #Domain Parameters
 workgroup = LOGENG.NET
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 domain logons = Yes
 os level = 65
 preferred master = True
 domain master = True
 guest ok = Yes
 domain admin group = @domain_admins
 add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
 smb passwd file = /etc/private/smbpasswd
 time server = Yes

 # Set to use local profiles and logon.bat logon script
 logon script = logon.bat
 logon home =
 logon drive =
 logon path =

 #Name Server Support -- Translate WINS requests to DNS Server
 wins support = Yes
 name resolve order = wins hosts lmhosts bcast
 dnsproxy = yes

 #Security Options
 security = user
 bind interfaces only = Yes
 interfaces = 192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0 \ 127.0.0.1
 hosts allow = 192.168.0.

 #Debugging Information
 log level = 1
 log file = /var/log/samba.log