Halelujah! It works!

Eric Pilger pilger at kahana.higp.hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 28 20:05:44 GMT 2001

At long last, after >7 months of effort, the tree bears fruit.

I  suspect I may have been shooting myself in the foot for some time.
Very early on in the game I had tried to enable my current server to
support domains, but could never join it. I then started practicing on
another server so that I wouldn't keep distrubing things. Yesterday, I
once again downloaded a full, clean CVS and recompiled. I then
discovered accidentally that the current server was still configured to
support domains. Hmm...If it's been working all this time, no harm in
trying the latest stuff.

I disabled the test server, did a clean install of the new stuff on the
current server and restarted.Voila! She works!

I must have had some wierd dueling server thing.

Of course now the hard issues start.

- Unless people are in the Power User group, the CD burner doesn't work
and Netscape complains it can't change the registry. How do I put people
in this group?

- It's no fun initializing everybodys profile in their home directory

- The User manager for Domains for NT shows only a portion of the users,
and some show up as groups. This is that "No distinction between groups
and users thing" isn't it?

Ah well, the fun continues.

--
Eric J. Pilger

Systems Administrator

Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology/SOEST

pilger at pgd.hawaii.edu

(808)956-6321