tools for user logon tracking?

Akop Pogosian akopps at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Mar 26 21:48:05 GMT 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, kat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone know of a simple tool to take the smbd/nmbd logs and create some
> sort of connection/usage chart/info?  I want to be able to see when my
> users are logging on and logging out... I know the info of course is in the
> logs, and could be gotten with grep/sed, but was wondering if someone has
> already done something like this.
>
> thanks
> Kat

Compile samba with --with-utmp option. Then utmp and wtmp will be
updated when users connect and you will be able to use the regular
unix "who" and "last" commands to inspect who is using the system
right now. Seems to work well with Samba 2.0.7

-akop