Internet Access

Keith Lynn lynn at tsunami.cis.usouthal.edu
Thu Mar 15 15:23:04 GMT 2001

Hello everyone,
     This question may be slightly off the subject, but I thought someone
might be able to help me with this.
     I run several computer labs, each running Windows NT 4.0 clients with
a Samba server running on RedHat Linux.
     What I would like to do is have this server not only run Samba but
act as a pseudorouter. That is, there is a main router in our University,
and each client is set to use that router as its gateway.
     What I want to do is change the gateway on each client to the server
running Samba, and then as needed shut off routed so that packets can't
get to the real router. However, I have not been able to get routed to
work on the server.
     The specifics of the problem are that a client machine has IP address
192.168.103.11, and the Samba server has IP address 192.168.103.149. I've
tried running routed and setting up /etc/gateways, but I can't get
192.168.103.11 to ping any machines outside the subnet. Has anyone had
experience using routed? Thanks.

Keith Lynn
Systems Administrator
School of Computer and Information Sciences
University of South Alabama
Mobile, AL 36608
Phone: (334) 460-6390
Fax: (334) 460-7274