printing via samba

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Mon Mar 12 11:38:12 GMT 2001

> The error comment on client is : There was an error
> writing to \\Buaya\printer for printer (Canon)  BJC-210SP) The netwrok name
> cannot be found
"network name not found", this may indicate that it is not a printing
problem, but a network problem. Do you see the printer share in the
Network Neiborhood?

> For disk share running well. On server I try to test print and work well
> too.
On the same server? At the same time?

> I already follow the printer troubleshooting on windows but no result.
> And I already read printing.txt that came with samba distribution..and also
> can't help.
>
> My steps are :
> - /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart
> (in this step smb always failed, why ???)
I would look in this first. Are nmbd and smbd both are running? Have
you checked the logs?

> - testparm
> - testprns lp
> - smbclient -L localhost
>
> Here is my smb.conf
> ------------------
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
> # Date: 2001/03/08 14:12:06
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>  workgroup = ITS
>  netbios name = BUAYA
>  domain logons = no
>  server string = samba %v on (%L)
>  interfaces = 1.1.1.20/8
>  security = user
> # password server = kancil
>  encrypt passwords = Yes
>  debug level = 0
>  syslog = 2
>  log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log.%m
>  max log size = 50
>
>  os level = 34
>  local master = yes
>  preferred master = yes
>  domain master = yes
>  wins support = yes
>

>  auto services = made
>  remote announce = 1.1.1.255/ITS
>  hosts allow = 1.1.1. localhost
>
> [netlogon]
>  comment = domain logon service
>  path = /export/samba/logon
>  public = no
>  writeable = no
>  browsable = no
>
> [printer]
>     comment = canon kesayanganku...
>     printable = yes
>     printing = BSD
>
> I also use this command before but it doesn't work..
> #   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p %s
>     print command = echo "printed %s on %p" >> /tmp/printlog
>     print command = cp %s /tmp/tmp.print
>     lpq command = lpq -P%p
>     lprm command = lprm -P%p %j
>
>     printcap name = /etc/printcap
>     printer = lp
>     min print space = 2000
>
>     path = /var/spool/public
>     printer = lp
>     read only = yes
As far as I know, the printer share must be writeable.

>     guest ok = false
>     valid users = made
Leave away such things for the first test. Access can be restricted
later

> [data]
>  comment = data drive
>  path = /mnt