printing via samba

rai made_rai at telkom.net
Mon Mar 12 08:47:39 GMT 2001

I am using Mandrake 7.2 with samba 2.07.
I have problem that my client (windows 95) cannot print via samba.

The error comment on client is : There was an error
writing to \\Buaya\printer for printer (Canon)  BJC-210SP) The netwrok name
cannot be found

For disk share running well. On server I try to test print and work well
too.
I already follow the printer troubleshooting on windows but no result.
And I already read printing.txt that came with samba distribution..and also
can't help.

My steps are :
- /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart
(in this step smb always failed, why ???)
- testparm
- testprns lp
- smbclient -L localhost

Here is my smb.conf
------------------
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2001/03/08 14:12:06

# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = ITS
 netbios name = BUAYA
 domain logons = no
 server string = samba %v on (%L)
 interfaces = 1.1.1.20/8
 security = user
# password server = kancil
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 debug level = 0
 syslog = 2
 log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log.%m
 max log size = 50

 os level = 34
 local master = yes
 preferred master = yes
 domain master = yes
 wins support = yes

 auto services = made
 remote announce = 1.1.1.255/ITS
 hosts allow = 1.1.1. localhost

[netlogon]
 comment = domain logon service
 path = /export/samba/logon
 public = no
 writeable = no
 browsable = no

[printer]
    comment = canon kesayanganku...
    printable = yes
    printing = BSD

I also use this command before but it doesn't work..
#   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p %s
    print command = echo "printed %s on %p" >> /tmp/printlog
    print command = cp %s /tmp/tmp.print
    lpq command = lpq -P%p
    lprm command = lprm -P%p %j

    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    printer = lp
    min print space = 2000

    path = /var/spool/public
    printer = lp
    read only = yes
    guest ok = false
    valid users = made

[data]
 comment = data drive
 path = /mnt
 writeable = Yes
 guest ok = Yes
 map system = Yes
 map hidden = Yes
 volume = simple data drive
 follow symlinks = No

Is there some thing wrong with the smb.conf ??? Did I miss any step ??

Please help me...

thanks
Made