nmbd as WINS proxy

Shaun Lipscombe shaun.lipscombe at gasops.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 10:40:05 GMT 2001

* "CHEUNG" == CHEUNG Ngai Tseung <cheungnt at ha.org.hk> writes:

 > We are basically an NT shop, but I have installed Samba on two
 > rogue linux servers. My problem is that being an NT shop our IT
 > people won't support DNS, instead using wins and DHCP for
 > everything.

Excellent.  Two more Linux boxes on the planet is a "good thing(tm)".

 > My hope was that name queries from my linux boxes can be resolved
 > by nmbd (since the man page says "In addition, nmbd can act as a
 > WINS proxy, relaying broadcast queries from clients that do not
 > understand how to talk the WINS protocol to a WIN server"), but
 > having I set wins proxy = yes without any effect - ie my linux box
 > still can't resolve netbios names.

 > Is it possible to have Samba transparently resolve netbios names?

If you want nmbd to act as a WINS server then you do wins support =
yes and you setup all your windows machines to register with the WINS
server by setting up wins in the TCP/IP network properties on the
windows machines.  If you already have a WINS server and want the
Samba machine to use the WINS server to resolve netbios names then you
do a wins server = x.x.x.x.  The WINS proxy will only work if the
windows machines are not configured to use WINS and you say that you
are an NT shop already using NT for the WINS.  Sounds like you need
the "wins server = " option of the smb.conf.

Shaun

P.S.  I didn't think NT did WINS very well anyway (what I was told by
an NT admin).

--
          (o_
(/)_ (/)_ V_/_   shaun.lipscombe at gasops.co.uk