Win2k logon to Samba Domain

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 6 15:29:53 GMT 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 10:20:55PM +0000, Scott McKean wrote:
> I am running Samba Version 2.2.0-alpha2, my NT4 machines logon to the domain
> perfectly (except for a hickup in my mappings due to permissions, but I can
> fiddle with that). But I want to upgrade the network (or more my employer
> does) to a Win2k Professional network.
>
> So I setup a machine with win2k pro on it created the necessary accounts
> etc.  I go to join the domain and it gives:
>
> The following error occured while trying to join the domain "HARDWARE_TEST"
>
> The procedure number is out of range
>
> Any help with this matter would be gratefuly appreciated, even pointing
> towards useful documentation etc would be great. I have been trolling around
> for hours, and the only info I seem to find is on mailing lists but that is
> also fairly minimal.

Please get a recent cvs SAMBA_2_2. Then create a "root" account. Delete the
computer name from smbpasswd (smbpasswd -m -x name), but not from /etc/passwd
or NIS.  Then join the domain again and offer that root account/password to
samba. "root" means an account with root priviledges, possible root itself.

Hopefully this procedure (having a root account and having to delete smb
accounts) will not be neccessary for the release, but now it's alpha time. At
least it works fine at the end!

Note, that you may encounter (permission) problems with roaming profiles on
W2K, if you don't, then tell us ;)

Regards, Axel.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de