Windows 2000 and Samba2.2 - Roaming Profiles

Hugh Fisher Hugh.Fisher at act.cmis.CSIRO.AU
Wed Jan 24 22:59:43 GMT 2001

> Does anyone out there have Samba 2.2 actually working with Windows 2000
> Pro clients, and specifically, using Roaming Profiles?
> Samba is acting as a PDC and works great for Win98. And as far as I can
> tell, everything seems to work with Win2000 EXCEPT the Roaming
> Profiles.
>
> I can access all the shares, read and write files, even the login script
> works!!! (which I won't need if the profiles would work)

 I have Samba 2.2 with Windows 200 clients and roaming profiles
 almost work.

 In my setup the profiles are stored in the user home directory.
 I'm aware of the possible user logs off & next user loads wrong
 profile possible bug, but setting up the directory is tricky
 and too many apps store stuff in the users profile instead of
 their home :-(

 Control panel settings, ntuser.dat, etc all get stored just fine
 whether in the home directory or in [Profiles]. The one glitch
 is that Win200 tries to create a directory
	profiles\Application Data\Microsoft\My\Keys\
 and this fails according to the Samba debugging output. Frankly,
 I'm not worried about it.

 Things to check:

 If you are using a separate [Profiles] share in the samba config
 file, have you set writable = yes ? If not, you'll have to set
 up mandatory profiles yourself.

 And also with the [Profiles] share, are the Unix permissions
 also set to be writable by the client? Windows 2000 wants to
 create a whole directory, not just a file.

 Hope this helps.

	Hugh Fisher
	DCS, ANU